History of the building
Shuva Israel Community first put down roots in New York City in 2002 when the organization rented space and opened its doors at 328 East 61st street. As people came to pray, the congregation expanded and grew quite large. When it becomes clear that a new space was needed, the group began looking for a new building that would meet the organizations growing needs.
In 2008, Shuva Israel signed a deed for the property located at 122 East 58th St., a building that formerly housed the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society Library. Erected in 1929, the four-story building was designed by the noted New York architectural firm of La Farge, Warren and Clark. On December 11th of that year, former President of the United States Calvin Coolidge and former Governor of New York and Chief Justice of the United States Charles Evans Hughes attended the formal dedication ceremony of the building.
Photo courtesy of NY Genealogical
& Biographical Society
The property now serves as headquarters for Shuva Israel Community in the United States, and houses a Synagogue - Shul, Yeshivah classrooms, events and Shuva Israel administrative offices.